For most residents in Lighthouse Point, Florida, air conditioning companies offering HVAC installations, repairs, and other means of climate control within the home become an integral part of life. Providing stability, enjoyment, and a refreshing break from the sometimes sweltering outside climate of summertime in Lighthouse Point, your AC unit can sometimes mean the difference from enjoying your time at home to enduring sticky, sweaty, even dangerous conditions. This piece of technology is the cornerstone of life in Florida—yet it is often overlooked when it comes time for annual maintenance—and unfortunately, it is sometimes only taken care of once it ceases to function once and for all. In this article, we will break down what an HVAC unit is, how regularly homeowners ought to maintain their HVAC unit, how to troubleshoot a broken HVAC system, and more!
Lighthouse Point, Florida Air Conditioning Companies: An Intro to HVAC systems
What Is an HVAC Unit?
An HVAC unit encapsulates the following services: Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. These all provide climate control in the form of cooling and heating homes or commercial buildings for maximum comfort year-round, in all sorts of seasons. Some advanced HVAC systems also offer air filtration capabilities that can help with allergens like dander and dust—and some can even filter out illness-causing pathogens like bacteria or viruses. Typically, HVAC systems rely on just one blower to circulate warm or cool air throughout vents and ducts within your home—though some can heat rooms of a house without the use of a network of ducts.
How Often Should You Maintain Your HVAC Unit?
As you might have guessed if you’ve read our article on AC unit maintenance, HVAC setups are no different—in fact, they can benefit greatly from at least annual checkups. However, the regularity with which you check up on your AC unit largely depends on your climate and how much work it sees on a daily basis. For some areas, including Florida, your HVAC unit will likely be working around the clock to keep your home comfortable and inviting…and for these homeowners, it might be worth checking in on the efficacy and efficiency of your HVAC unit twice a year. Keep in mind this typically costs between $100-$250—but in rooting out problems or inefficiencies, you can not only prolong the lifespan of your unit but lower your utility bills as well!
What Types of Services Do HVAC Companies Provide?
If you live in a warm climate like Lighthouse Point, Florida, air conditioning companies and their services are likely an integral part of your everyday life. Indeed, in some climates like Phoenix, Arizona, the weather becomes unbearably warm without some form of air conditioning or climate control. These HVAC systems, or Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) units must be properly cared for and serviced by a qualified technician in order to not only continue running smoothly and effectively but also to keep utility costs at a minimum by working efficiently as well. Here are some of the primary services an HVAC technician can provide!
Ensuring that your home is equipped with proper airflow not only improves temperature control throughout your home while keeping your power bills low but can also filter and improve air quality at the same time! Too often, homeowners neglect to replace damaged or dirty old air filters. By regularly caring for your home’s ventilation services, you can get the most out of your HVAC unit while keeping a clean, hygienic, and allergen-free home.
There’s no doubt that the closer you live to the equator, the more likely you are to require an air conditioning unit to keep cool in the summer months. As such, having your HVAC system installed properly by a professional team is your best bet for year-round comfort. An HVAC specialist will be able to not only provide an efficient installation of an HVAC unit but will also be able to recommend the most efficient or cutting-edge systems that might be a good fit for your home and monthly utility budget. For more information on HVAC installation, contact Lucas Technical Air today!
Even the most confident of HVAC technicians must come to check on their work on a regular basis to ensure the unit is performing in tip-top shape. This can involve tasks ranging from checking for joint and refrigerant leaks, ensuring the thermostat is responsive, cleaning components of the unit, from air ducts to cooling fins or air filters, servicing the motor, and more. HVAC systems can cost anywhere between $5,000 and $12,000—so the more you are able to care for your unit (ideally at least once a year), the better you will be at protecting this significant investment.
A broken HVAC unit in the summertime can be not only uncomfortable, but even dangerous for vulnerable populations like children, pets, or the elderly. If your air conditioning quits working, you’ll want to have a good HVAC servicing company on speed dial to return your home to comfortable temperatures as soon as possible! (For more information on what to look for in an HVAC company, check out our recent article on the topic.)
Troubleshooting a Busted HVAC Unit, For Beginners
Most homeowners don’t also happen to be expert HVAC unit technicians—but some HVAC repairs are simple enough that the average person with access to a home improvement store can fix. Here are some of the first things you’ll want to check when troubleshooting a broken HVAC unit—before you call in the professionals:
1. Thermostat: The first thing you’ll want to rule out is thermostat issues. You can do this by simply adjusting your thermostat settings a few degrees up or down and listening for the HVAC system to kick in and start moving air around. If the thermostat is nonresponsive, then you may be able to simply replace it without calling in a technician to diagnose a deeper problem.
2. Air filter: Dirty air filters can be the source of inefficient or ineffectual internal climate control—so pay attention to the cost of your utility bill each month. If things start looking unusually expensive, switching out a spent air filter can make for a simple but effective improvement in performance.
3. Ventilation system: You will also want to check all the vents and air ducts to be sure that you are still achieving ideal airflow throughout your home. This includes supply and return ducts, and even vents in closed-off or unused portions of the house. This is another problem that may produce symptoms in the form of a higher utility bill. Make sure furniture, curtains, or other items throughout your home are not impeding airflow—and contrary to popular belief, keeping doors open to improve airflow actually helps to keep bills down in the long run!
4. Circuit breakers: An HVAC unit won’t run without power! Check the circuit breaker panel to see if the fuse has flipped. If you are able to get a response out of your unit after flipping the breaker back to normal, then you are in business—but anything beyond this will likely require the help of a professional.
5. The unit itself: Another way to troubleshoot a malfunctioning or defunct AC system is to go outside and check the actual unit itself. Look around the foundation for leaks, especially refrigerant leaks—and make sure that there is proper airflow to the fins by removing plant life or debris that may be in the way.
Best Lighthouse Point, Florida Air Conditioning Companies Near Me
The best Lighthouse Point, Florida air conditioning companies will offer an array of services, from quality customer handling to timely and effective installation and repairs. Look for HVAC technicians in Lighthouse Point that offer quality work, convenient hours, and take the time to answer your questions or help you diagnose issues that might have a simple fix. By regularly caring for your HVAC system at least once a year, you are investing in a safer, more comfortable lifestyle and protecting the significant investment of your quality of life.
As is the case with many emergencies, it’s better to be prepared than to react to accidents in real-time. Be sure to do some research in advance about an HVAC company that can best meet your needs so that, should your HVAC system quit, you’ll have the right service inbound to your l0cation in no time! Want to work with the leader in local Lighthouse Point, Florida air conditioning companies? Contact Lucas Technical Air today!